[meteorite-list] Best ways to send payments from Canada to Morocco

From: Brian Cox <searchingforfun_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:56:13 -0600

Hello Melanie and list,

In regards to your question of sending payments to Morocco, I have to ask a
couple of questions and others also mentioned they weren't clear on your
question since you didn't seem to be including shipping costs. I'd like to
help you out and I mean this in the most thoughtful and kindest way
possible, so please don't take it negatively or have any anger towards me.
Make sure you include shipping costs when you were determining the total
amount of the payment you need to send to the seller and then send a check
and then say you couldn't afford the FedEx shipping costs if that is what
you agreed to buy from the seller? You have said this in the past about not
having money to pay for something or to pay for the shipping costs. It's
good to ask for help if you are not experienced in sending payments outside
of Canada beyond Paypal. This sounds like you decided to send a check for
the meteorites and then were going to decide about a payment for the
"shipping" as a separate payment or to pay for shipping later on. Is this
why you stated you couldn't afford the FedEx shipping costs after you had
sent your personal Canadian paper check? This doesn't sound right why you
wouldn't determine the full amount due to the seller for the items with
shipping and or insurance and then send one payment and later decide you
couldn't afford the shipping costs they gave you.

Also, you stated you sent a "Paper Check" which, as I am thinking is a
"personal check" from your personal Canadian bank account by what you wrote.
I'm confused to why would you think that a personal check from your Canadian
bank account would be "valid" as you say, to a dealer in Morocco, which I am
sure it is valid in Canada and you have money in your account, but most
likely would not be accepted in Morocco or any other country? You don't
often hear of dealers in Asia, Africa, Europe or for the most part any
dealers in the U.S. or anywhere in North or South America or Australia that
would accept a personal Paper check from a bank in a different country,
although it may happen. A check from a Canadian bank account or from a U.S.
bank account or any personal paper check from any other country most likely
won't be accepted unless they verified with their bank first that they could
accept that check. An example would be if there was Citibank in Canada and
then Citibank in the U.S. would accept that check or Citibank in England,
etc. .I'm sure if the check was from a bank that had a branch in that
country that it would be accepted, but it usually creates a hassle and is
time consuming to stand in line or through an ATM. As several members
mentioned bank wire is the safest and then probably FedEx payment, but
sending a paper check or money order isn't a good idea as Gary mentioned.

I would like to offer a friendly suggestion to help you out. Please make
sure you discuss all the facts and figures with any dealer/collector
anywhere in the world before closing a deal. Remember you are entering a
contract with this dealer, whether it is on ebay or through their website or
through correspondence with the dealer. On ebay this is stated as you are
entering a contract so be mindful of this. You need to finalize all costs.
You need to get the full amount that you owe in writing, email, etc. for the
meteorites and any insurance and shipping and then you need to first discuss
the method of payment to that dealer before you send any payment. I think
your first mistake here was that it sounds as if you didn't determine the
full costs of the meteorites with shipping, then you didn't ask the seller
if he or she would accept a "Personal Paper Check from another country. I
think you will have much better luck and increase good relations with
dealers through online sales, ebay and through the different meteorite lists
you if you slow down and get the facts before making purchases and payments.

As you have written on your posts the equivalent of The Tom Hanks character
from the Forest Gump movie, "Life is like a box of chocolates." You need
to stop and think that your eyes are bigger than your stomach and stop and
think of what you are wanting to bid on or buy first and how to pay for it.
There is an old saying in America that you may or may not know in Canada.
"Your eyes are bigger than your stomach" which roughly means you saw the
food on the menu and you ordered all that looked good to eat, but your
stomach wasn't big enough to eat it all and you became very full before you
could finish the meal. This is the same as the child that fills their plate
up and can't eat it all at home. This also goes along with shopping at the
store when you are hungry and buying too much, as in buying more goodies
than you needed. In this case looking at meteorites you want to buy and then
not carefully researching making a payment and then feeling full of
frustration and aggravation at how to make the payment or what road to go
down. I truly hope this helps in the future.

Have a great day!

Brian

Best ways to send payments from Canada to Morocco

Hi list,

Please help - I mailed a payment to a Moroccan dealer for a lot of
chondrites via a paper check, he got it today, but he told me that the banks
over there don't recognize it even though it is completely valid. I can't
afford the shipping costs through FedEx for the lot I want - which will be
over $200 CND... so what other less expensive options do you suggest?

Thank you in advance