[meteorite-list] Guide to "Newbies" (was Meteorites & Competition)

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 18:32:34 -1000

Aloha Dennis, Anne, listees,

Here are some titles of books on meteorites that I have in my library, use in public outreach, or for informal science education in schools. Some of them are well known, while others more obscure, but all most informative and worth the time to read. Some of them are listed here in no particular order:

Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites, O Richard Norton, 2002, Cambridge Press, 354 pg
        Good information that is well organized by the master

Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites, O Richard Norton, 2008 Springer, 288 pg
          Great reference from classifications to hunting to handlens/microscope viewing

Rocks From Space, O Richard Norton, 1994, 1998 Mountain Press Pub, 444 pg
        One of my favorite books, one to which I often return

Meteorites, Hutchison & Graham, 1993 Sterling Publishing, NY, 60 pg
        Good pictures and information, I donate copies to science classes I visit

Falling Stars, Mike Reynolds, 2001 Stackpole Books, PA, 148 pg
        Like the subtitle says, its a Guide to Meteors and Meteorites

Meteorites - Their Impact on Science and History, edited by Zanda & Rotaru, 1996 Cambridge University Press, 128 pg
        Great color pictures, very informative

Meteorites, Alain Carion, self-published, 36 pg
        Short B/W printing with nice photos and good information

Thunderstones and Shooting Stars, Robert T Dodd, 1986, Harvard Press, 196 pg
        Good pictures and information, some dated or obsolete

Santa Lucia Meteorite Fall, McCartney Taylor, 2009 self published 62 pg
        Great story of meteorite hunting in Argentina

Find a Falling Star, Harvey Nininger, 1972, Erikson, 254 pg
        Autobiography of America?s first meteorite hunter

Meteorites from A to Z, Jenson, Jenson, Black, 2004 self published, 276 pg
        Great reference for falls and finds

The Handbook of Colorado Meteorites, Matt Morgan, 2000 CO Geo Survey, 40 pg
        Compilation & pictures of the meteorites of Colorado

Meteorites and Their Parent Planets, Harry McSween, 1999 Cambridge Press, 312 pg
        Good book on meteorites and where they come from

The Meteorite & Tektite Collectors Handbook, Philip Bagnall, 1991 WIllman-Bell, 160 pg
        Somewhat dated, but good source of information

Tektites - A Cosmic Enigma, Hal Provenmire, 2003 self published, 210 pg
        Comprehensive book on the different tektites, strewnfields and theories of origin

Meteorites and the Origin of Planets, John Wood, 1968 McGraw-Hill, 118 pg
        A lot of valid information in this dated book

Tucson Meteorites, Richard Willey, 1987 Smithsonian Press, 46 pg
        A history of the Tucson Ring meteorite

The Port Orford, Oregon Meteorite Mystery, Roy S Clarke, 1993 Smithsonian Press, 42 pg
        Great story of an even greater hoax

The Fallen Sky, Christopher Cokinos, 2009 Penguin Books, 518 pg
        Story weaves history, science and the author?s life in an engaging manner

Meteorites - A Journey Through Time and Space, Bevan & DeLaeter, 2002, Univ So Wales Press, 216 pg
        Beautiful book, good information in an easy to read format

Meteorites - Their Structure, Composition and Terrestrial Relations, Oliver Cummings Farrington, 1915 self published, 226 pg
        Obviously dated, but a good read of period meteoritics

Meteorite Craters, Kathleen Mark, 1987, UA Press, 288 pg
        Good book on impact craters around the world

Meteorite Hunter, Roy Gallant, 2002 McGraw-Hill, 232 pg
           Stories of Tunguska, Sikhote Alin, Chinga, Pallas, Tsarev and more

The Mystery of the Tunguska Fireball, Surendra Verma, 2005 Icon Books, 278 pg
        Investigation of the 1908 fireball in Siberia

The Day the Sky Split Apart, Roy Gallant, 1995 Simon & Schuster, 156 pg
        Good book for young adults on the Tunguska event

T Rex and the Crater of Doom, Walter Alvarez, 1997 Princeton Univ Press, 186 pg
        Giant impact kills off dinosaurs 65 million years ago

Man and Impact on the Americas, E P Grondine, 1998 self published, 466 pg
        The effects of asteroid and comet impacts on man throughout the ages

gary

PS. It snowed here in Hawai?i too Anne. Fortunately for us, only on the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, so no shoveling for us except for the dedicated day crew workers of the observatories.