[meteorite-list] Metal detector Question

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:16:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dean,

I would draw a line between gold (& meteorites) and coins. A machine for all around hunting usually lowers the performance of the machine in those different styles of hunting. So many detectorists choose to own 2 machines (one for gold/meteorites and one for coins).

For hunting gold in Australia I would go with the Minelab because they were developed in Australia in order to combat their heavily mineralized ground.

They also make good coin machines. They may have a multi-use machine that does a good job. The newer multi-frequency machines would be something to look at. But again, 2 machines is better. Having a deep seeking gold machine, along with a coin machine better suited to finding shallow, small targets would increase the probability of success.

I'm in the states and my Whites serves me well. I also have a coin machine that can hunt gold, but I always put it down and use my dedicated gold machine instead.

Good luck,

Mark B.
Vail, AZ