[meteorite-list] meteorite images..

From: info at niger-meteorite-recon.de <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:18:27 +0100 (CET)

That's actually a good question Mark, and you are certainly not alone with that
request.
?
My first choice for public domain photos of Meteorites would be NASA's photo
archive. If you haven't checked?it yet I highly recommend a visit:
?
http://nix.larc.nasa.gov/search;jsessionid=393vi7bno140l
?
And as Eric pointed out, there are a number of licensed but cost free photo
galleries on the web, for example the Wiki-commons collection on meteorites.
Beautiful pictures there, and I am sure it doesn't hurt to mention the source
when using them for outreach purposes:
?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meteorite
?
Then there is of course the Encyclopedia of Meteorites which is expertly
administered by Sergey Vasiliev and the IMCA and which offers a broad selection
of user generated content including many good meteorite photographs. You'll have
noticed these pictures when accessing the Meteoritical Bulletin's data base.
Though not public domain the archive is at least a good starting point when
looking for photos of particular specimens.
?
http://www.encyclopedia-of-meteorites.com/
?
Michael Johnsons invaluable Rocks from Space Calender with hundreds if not
thousands of meteorite photos completes the inventory. As the authors of the
photos are usually represented with their contact addresses its easy to approach
them and request the use of?the?respective image you might want to use:
?
http://www.rocksfromspace.org/calendar.html
?
Last but not least there are a number of very talented meteorite photographers
around, Geoff Notkin comes to my mind, Tomasz Jakubowski, Mike Bandli, Phillipe
Thomas, Andi Gren (etched irons!), Martin Horejsi (particularly rare locations),
Michael Johnson (when it comes to premium Sikhote Alins), Jason Utas (who
maintains a great photo collection on Flickr), Peter Marmet (with a beautiful
photo collection of historic European specimens) and many other skilled
photographers, to whom I apologize for not being able to mention them all. I am
convinced all these folks will be most helpful if you contact them with a photo
request for particular specimens.
?
The same goes for myself, my photo archive is open to everyone's request and
it's always been a pleasure for me to contribute photos to book-, website, or
outreach projects, just drop me a note if interested.?Producing these photos and
maintaining an image archive of high-res data is cost- and time-intensive, so
giving proper credits hurts no one and is commonly self evident. Here are some
image selections to give you an idea:
???http://www.meteorite-recon.com/en/Meteoritensammlung.htm
?
http://www.meteorite-recon.com/en/Meteorite%20archive.htm