[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:51:29 -0700

Hello All:

I had a thought:

It seems to me that chondrules are prevalent in meteorites blasted from asteroidal bodies and not from planetary bodies. For example, do chondrules exist (or have been found) on any meteorites from the moon, mars or maybe from Mercury (Angrites?)? Now I understand that these are called achondrites, and thus they do not have chondrules, but it seems that chondrites are only from asteroidal bodies (or perhaps comets).? With that said, maybe there is a relationship between formation of rock without gravity (or a very small amount of gravity); chondrules form initially during the formation of the solar system, and then later over millions of years are altered on planetary bodies under a gravitational force.

Just my two cents worth.

Greg S.