[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation

From: Melanie Matthews <spacewoman2775_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 14:28:50 -0700

 <SNT117-W36765BE3FBA98AF8AD6E4BD2D20 at phx.gbl>

Hello=2C Greg and list.=20

>From what I understand - chondrules can't form on bodies that have or have =
had been (such as rocky planets and asteroids like Vesta)=2C geologically a=
ctive - because the material has been so heavily processed.. The iron and n=
ickle which are heavier than the rocky/silicate=2C are driven to the core b=
y gravity when it was molten.=20

The last paragraph of your message pretty much answers your question. =3B)=
=20

Regards=20
-----------
 Melanie
 IMCA: 2975
 eBay: metmel2775
 Known on SkyRock Cafe as SpaceCollector09
=20
Unclassified meteorites are like a box of chocolates... you never know what=
 you're gonna get!=20

> From: stanleygregr at hotmail.com
> To: epgrondine at yahoo.com=3B meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
> Date: Fri=2C 2 Oct 2009 13:51:29 -0700
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Chondrule formation
>

> Hello All:
>
> I had a thought:
>
> It seems to me that chondrules are prevalent in meteorites blasted from a=
steroidal bodies and not from planetary bodies. For example=2C do chondrule=
s exist (or have been found) on any meteorites from the moon=2C mars or may=
be from Mercury (Angrites?)? Now I understand that these are called achondr=
ites=2C and thus they do not have chondrules=2C but it seems that chondrite=
s are only from asteroidal bodies (or perhaps comets). With that said=2C m=
aybe there is a relationship between formation of rock without gravity (or =
a very small amount of gravity)=3B chondrules form initially during the for=
mation of the solar system=2C and then later over millions of years are alt=
ered on planetary bodies under a gravitational force.

> Just my two cents worth.
>
> Greg S.

>> Date: Fri=2C 2 Oct 2009 11:58:02 -0700
>> From: epgrondine at yahoo.com
>> To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
>> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Chondrule formation
>>
>> Hi all -
>>
>> "We don't know crap..." Hey!=2C who stole my line?
>>
>> But that's okay=2C I can come up with another one:
>> We don't know crap about the impact hazard=2C
>> and NASA senior managers know less than that.
>>
>> E.P. Grondine
>> Man and Impact in the Americas

                                               =0A=