[meteorite-list] Where are the thin section experts?

From: Ruben Garcia <mrmeteorite_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:02:55 -0700

Hi all,

The disclaimer: My main purpose for posting this is because I know
very little about achondrite meteorites. This is because (as a general
rule) I only collect what I find, and though I've found lots of
meteorites this is my first achondrite find.

As most already know this find is currently being classified by
Laurence Garvie at ASU. However, while we wait for the official
classification I thought it would be fun and enlightening to show the
section and see if the guesses change from before. It would be great
to hear from some of the great minds on this forum - Ted Bunch, the
Hupe's, etc.. - but any ones guess is welcome and interesting to me.

According to the (4) meteoriticists that have seen the thin section -
it is NOT a pallasite or chondrite. However, no one can definitively
ID this meteorite instead they gave a few guesses - "primitive
achondrite like."

This thin section was pictured with a home made cross polarized light
set-up I made. It?s not the best but I hope it's good enough to give
an idea.

Look here:
http://www.mr-meteorite.net/rubengarciasmeteorite.htm

Meteorite picutres as found/cut and polished
http://www.mr-meteorite.net/ararearizonafind.htm

--
Ruben Garcia (Mr-Meteorite)
Website: http://www.mr-meteorite.net