[meteorite-list] Where are the thin section experts?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 12:58:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Ruben and List members,

My eyes are calibrated for Lunaites right now having just returned from a Mojave hunt. I trained my eyes before the deep desert trip in hopes of actually finding one. After hiking 62 miles last week, I did find a few breccias, some fossil camel bones, an ordinary chondrite and maybe a weathered carbonaceous chondrite. We even found a stolen vehicle from Utah stashed in a box canyon which we reported. The police dispatcher was not ready for exact GPS coordinates though.

With my eyes still calibrated in hopes of finding a North American Lunar, my first guess is a Mesosiderite. With that said, I am certainly no expert on thin-sections but do enjoy observing them. I looked for triple-junctions and did not see any in the thin-section image so I do not believe it to be anything primitive like a Winoniate, Lodranite or Acapulcolite. I see no relic chondrules either. If the opaque areas are metal or oxides and not chromite, then there seems to be too much for a Diogenite.

That's what makes finds like Ruben's exciting, you do not know what you have until the minerals are recognized in a laboratory. In any case, it is indeed a rare find. My blistered feet are testimony to how difficult any meteorite is to find, congratulations!

Please let us know what the laboratory reports,

Best Regards,

Adam