[meteorite-list] Slow cooling rate of irons in space

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 21:59:53 -0600

The dynamics of planetary magnetic fields are not well understood, but the
most widely accepted theories rely on some sort of dynamo effect, which
requires a liquid iron core. This isn't just a factor in the reversal of the
magnetic field, but in the existence of a significant field at all. Other
planets that no longer have liquid cores (Mars and Mercury) have very weak
magnetic fields as well. Evidence suggests that Mars once has a much
stronger field, on the order of 10% the strength of Earth's. Venus is a big
unknown: it has a very small magnetic field, but there is almost nothing to
indicate the state of its core.

It seems likely that when the Earth's interior cools sufficiently that we
loose the liquid iron core, we will also lose most of our magnetic field
(and therefore the protection it affords us). Not that there are likely to
be any humans around by then!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory