[meteorite-list] Slow cooling rate of irons in space

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 22:03:36 -0600

Nevertheless, the Earth would have long ago cooled to a solid interior were
it not for the continued production of interior heat from radioactive decay.
There is more to it than simply the radiative loss of the heat of formation.
This is also a factor in the cooling rate of smaller bodies that are
responsible for iron meteorites. That is, even small bodies cooled slower
than might otherwise be expected, because of active internal heating from
radioactive decay (something that I think was touched upon earlier).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com