[meteorite-list] Limits of Carbonaceous Chondrite observability from Earth

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 12:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone -

I have a problem to work and I'd like your input.

I think that the current analysis is that a 30-60 (more likely 60 in my guess) comet fragment hit at Tunguska in 1908.

We know the luminence (reflectivity) of carbonaceous chondrites.
Carbonaceous chondrites are usually thought to be cometary in origin.

Assuming no multiple passes (in other words following a long or short period comet orbit), what are the limits on Earth based observability of dead (not outgasssing) comet fragments?

Size, range, and travel time to Earth estimates, please.

Does anyone here know the observational limits of the proposed NEO-VIS orbiting telescope?

Finally, a few years back the CAPS (Comet and Asteroid Protection System) proposed using an active Moon based LIDAR for dead comet fragment detection.

Does anyone know what happened to that study?

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas