[meteorite-list] Limits of Carbonaceous Chondrite observability from Earth

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 13:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

Carbonaceous Chondrites usually run between 5% - 10% albedo

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2008/pdf/1996.pdf

2008 TC3, an approximately 5 meter diameter object, was about 515,000 km (~320,000 miles) away at discovery. Its albedo was ~5% and it was at 19.0V magnitude when discovered. Easily visible with our Schmidt, and rather bright for the 1.5-meter (G96). Two days earlier it was ~1.8 million km (~1.2 million miles) out and was near the threshold of detectability for G96, 22.0V, using our nominal survey exposure of 30 seconds.

I checked my documentation from the 2006 DPS meeting but I don't have even the abstract for the NEO-VIS poster, so you might want to contact the authors, cited in the link I sent in an earlier email.

I can't answer your last question.
--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net