[meteorite-list] Venus, Earth and Widmanstatten lines

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

It seems likely that Venus may well still be volcanic though this is by no means certain and it is unlikely that we will witness volcanic eruptions in the near future due to the clouds.

Current theory suggests that the hot crust due to the overly hot and thick atmosphere is much more plastic than Earth's and without plate tectonics (which really seem to need liquid water on the surface for some reason) the heat builds up until the whole crust seems to catastophically overturn.
Whether this process will continue in the future is the main question. Venus is approx 80% mass of the earth. We simply do no know.

Earth will certainly cool over time.
The core is solid, not liquid, as I have seen posted. We know this from seismographs. The outer core is liquid and is believed (though we do not know how) to be responsible for the magnetic field. The hotter core is kept solid by the pressure of the overlying material.
Plate Tectonism is predicted to die away over the many aeons ahead. I think there is some prediction to the stop date. It's before the sun expires but not before humanity, methinks. I forget. 1-2Ga or so, I think, but please don't quote me on that.

Widmanstatten lines are uniquely cooling features. Pressure features are not the same. I assume people are thinking about the patterns shown in samuri swords. They are indeed very pretty but not formed the same way. The patterns are due to variations in nickel concentration. The boundaries have more nickel (Taenite in the boundaries vs Kamacite in the thicker parts)

How thick the pattern is depends on the cooling rate. This is because even in a solid, atoms can diffuse. The do so quicker at higher temperature than lower and the boundaries form as the nicke moves out of the structure of the iron. The quicker this happens, the less opportunity it has to do this and so the widmanstatten pattern is thin.
Long slow diffusiuon rates produce thick widmanstatten patterns.

Remember, we are talking about atoms moving in a solid. This is a really slow process.

But widmanstatten is definitely a temperature and time driven effect rather than a pressure one. The physics and geochemistry is well understood.

Rob McC