[meteorite-list] Detectability

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:30:55 -0700 (PDT)

Apologies Ed. I should have noticed that the ephemerides for this object clearly showed it outbound. Chalk that up to my need for a nap...

Indeed it was unobservable just three days before discovery. Obviously not the best candidate for what you wanted, but actually a good example of the problems involved in detecting NEOs when they are close and inbound. It also partly points up why we want to detect them decades or centuries before impact, so we don't get blindsided...

As for MPML, Rob Matson is correct. MPML is free and on-topic for the list anything involving asteroids and comets, including the theoretical.

As with this list, the archives are open to all, but to post you need to be a member. I moderate new subscribers until they make an on-topic post or two, just to eliminate spam.

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net