[meteorite-list] Chondritic parent bodies

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 23:40:04 -0400

All,
Pete's question re: pallasites reminds me of one I've been meaning to throw
out to the group for a while. I believe that, by definition, L6's come from
one parent body and L5's, say, come from another. It's clear why breccias
might simply be an association of the two. But I've seen cross section
illustrations of hypothetical asteroids more than once which indicate a
transitional progression from L3 material at the exterior/crust through L4,
then L5, and eventually to L6 at the center/core. Presumably this is due to
insulative properties and the like towards the interior which allow more
heat from radioactivity to build up, etc, but this also seems to indicate a
single parent body. I'm sure Sterling & Co. might have a field day with
this one, and I'm looking forward to any responses out there...
Thanks much,
Dave

Dave Gheesling
IMCA #5967