[meteorite-list] Chondritic parent bodies

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:59:32 -0400

I'm not sure why you thought there was a definition that requires L5
and L6 chondrites to come from different parent asteroids... there
isn't. Questions like this are open to investigation. Isotopic data
show that the different petrologic types of L chondrites all
experienced a major shock event around 500 million years ago, which
means that at least many of them came from a single parent
body. Similarly, different petrologic types of H chondrites show
evidence for a break-up event around 7.5 million years ago. There is
still debate over the importance of "onion shell" vs. "rubble pile"
models of the asteroids, but not so much over whether the different
petrologic types come (or came) from a single asteroid.

jeff