[meteorite-list] They're Leprechauns

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:46:53 -0400

Sterling:
You're kidding right?
The Earth and it's inhabitants are mediocre? That pantheon of really smart
guys you mentioned are mediocre? Elvis, the most perfectly evolved human
being and the reason for the existence of the universe is merely mediocre?
So you're telling me that rock n roll, modern art & literature, science,
Thai food, 57 Chevys, Hollywood movies, are not magnificent? Just a
byproduct of the hallowed Building Blocks. Nothing special about matter
appearing out of nothing, organizing itself into living cells, then evolving
intelligence, then technology, then the Gibson hollow body electric guitar.
Nah that kind of stuff happens all the time. We just don't know about it
with our puny telescopes and crummy spectrometers. We're like those rotifers
that could speak without a larynx, think without a cerebral cortex, but yet
could not build a simple telescope, and thus lived in their own Local Bubble
of ignorance. Maybe it was the lack of opposable thumbs?

It doesn't take much to see that the Earth is an incredibly special place.
For one thing it harbors life. Let's take just one of the hundreds of
exacting parameters for life and apply it to our Local Neighborhood.
Magnetospheres for example. Examine the magnetospheres of all the other
planets in the Solar System. They're all mediocre and screwed up! Earth's
magnetosphere on the other hand is perfect for life. It's magnificent!

I know that Clifton, Ferreira and Land are considered mavericky, but they
do have equations to back up their assertions. And we all know the
magico-religious importance of formulae. What if some of our most basic
assumptions are wrong?

We don't know that things are like this all over. We don't have a clue
really.

I know this may sound all creationy and all, but Fred Hoyle was no fool.

The laws of probability are working against us. We are a magnificent
impossibility!

The Evolution of Life, Probability Considerations

and Common Sense-Part Three

By Dr. John Ankerberg and Dr. John Weldon

The Odds of a Complex Molecule

Noted astronomer Fred Hoyle uses the Rubik cube to illustrate the odds of
getting a

single molecule, in this case a biopolymer. Biopolymers are biological
polymers, i.e., large

molecules such as nucleic acids or proteins. In the fascinating illustration
below, he calls

the idea that chance could originate a biopolymer "nonsense of a high order":

At all events, anyone with even a nodding acquaintance with the Rubik cube
will

concede the near-impossibility of a solution being obtained by a blind
person moving

the cubic faces at random. Now imagine 1050 blind persons each with a
scrambled

Rubik cube, and try to conceive of the chance of them all simultaneously
arriving at

the solved form. You then have the chance of arriving by random shuffling at
just one

of the many biopolymers on which life depends. The notion that not only
biopolymers

but the operating programme of a living cell could be arrived at by chance
in a

primordial organic soup here on the Earth is evidently nonsense of a high
order.13

DeNouy provides another illustration for arriving at a single molecule of
high dissymmetry

through chance action and normal thermic agitation. He assumes 500 trillion
shakings

per second plus a liquid material volume equal to the size of the earth. For
one molecule it

would require "10243 billions of years." Even if this molecule did somehow
arise by chance, it

is still only one single molecule. Hundreds of millions are needed,
requiring compound

probability calculations for each successive molecule. His logical
conclusion is that "it is

totally impossible to account scientifically for all phenomena pertaining to
life."14

Even 40 years ago, scientist Harold F. Blum, writing in Time's Arrow and
Evolution,

wrote that, "The spontaneous formation of a polypeptide of the size of the
smallest known

proteins seems beyond all probability."15

Noted creation scientists Walter L. Bradley and Charles Thaxton, authors of
The Mystery

of Life's Origin: Reassessing Current Theories, point out that the
probability of assembling

amino acid building blocks into a functional protein is approximately one
chance in 4.9 X

10191.16 "Such improbabilities have led essentially all scientists who work
in the field to reject

random, accidental assembly or fortuitous good luck as an explanation for
how life began."

17 Now, if a figure as "small" as 5 chances in 10191 is referenced by such a
statement,

then what are we to make of the kinds of probabilities below that are
infinitely less? The

mind simply boggles at the remarkable faith of the materialist.

According to Coppedge, the probability of evolving a single protein molecule
over 5

billion years is estimated at 1 chance in 10161. This even allows some 14
concessions to

help it along which would not actually be present during evolution.18 Again,
this is no

chance.

Cells and Bacteria

Consider that the smallest theoretical cell is made up of 239 proteins.
Further, at least

124 different types of proteins are needed for the cell to become a living
thing. But the

simplest known self-reproducing organisms is the H39 strain of PPLO
(mycoplasma) con