[meteorite-list] I Witnessed large fireball last night in NC

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:55:29 -0500

The "big flare-up" is a bad sign for meteorites
coming from an object. Observed falls tend to
have a long steady burn that suddenly goes
dark at the end.

This would mean that the object has been slowed
enough for ablation to stop, and that would usually
be necessary for survival of any part of an object.

The short bright re-entry with flare-up is a sign
of coming in without a wing and prayer...

Sterling K. Webb