[meteorite-list] AD... Time to get back to work

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 01:03:47 -0700

Hi Michael,

Agreed... Though I don't think I have to say some people tend to blur
the line and confuse and extend the policy to include "any" item listed
rather than simply applying the rule to an item that has bids for which
it was originally designed. Obviously ending an item which has bids is
unethical "IF" it's solely to resell the item somewhere else or to
garner a higher price. There is however, one valid reason I can think of
to end an auction "after" it has bids and that's if the item being sold
somehow gets destroyed or stolen before the auction ends. Of course the
seller then has the obligation to contact the high bidder (before ending
the item) and let them know about the circumstances and offer a
solution. I believe the seller also has the obligation to provide a
reasonable replacement, or offer of credit or discount on another like
item to make it fair for the buyer. If the buyer wants to purchase the
piece in a broken state then that's their prerogative, and they should
realize that just because a seller ends an item does not mean that
seller is doing bad things. People are becoming way too paranoid in
suspecting that many honest sellers are a fraudsters. Ebay is
propagating this hysteria by scaring buyers into thinking it's not safe
to buy off their site.

Just my opinion...

Regards,
Eric