[meteorite-list] Museum investigation: 'Probably a rock, not meteorite'

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:38:59 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2010 4:29:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
veomega at gmail.com writes:
"Then, on the bounce, it touches the Earth and becomes the Property of
The State."

So if a meteoroid embeds itself into your car, or you catch it before
it hits the ground (ya, improbable as it seems), or if bounces off a
cow and you catch it, does it belong to you now since it did not
become a meteorite?

- YvW

Veomega,

As I understand, the St. Louis meteorite hit a car and stayed in it while
it was being driven down a city street. On an aside, I don't think the
City of St. Louis asserted any claim that it was their property.

Steve Arnold
of Meteorite Men