[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Known Meteor Showers

From: JoshuaTreeMuseum <joshuatreemuseum_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:19:35 -0400

Aren't the current meteor showers the Alpha Virginids, not the Lyrids?
Though I highly doubt their parent body is an H chondrite.

Phil Whitmer

------------------------

Carl, List,

> how we know with certainty that the WI fall is not

> related to the known shower of the same time period?

The Wisconsin Stone is a probable H5. The source
of the Lyrid meteor shower is Comet Thatcher (C/1861 G1).
I doubt that Comet Thatcher is an H5 condrite body.
It sure don't act like one...

"Certainty" is a tricky term. I've never been to Comet
Thatcher and drilled into it, so I can't swear you out
an affidavit that it isn't an H5 body, but the claim that
it is would be extraordinary.

And extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof,
as another guy named Carl used to say...

Sterling K. Webb