[meteorite-list] Fireballs & Known Meteor Showers

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 19:15:26 -0500

Phil, List,

The Lyrids are April 16 to April 26, but it could be
an early one; or it could be an Alpha Virginid (peaks
April 7 to 15), also a Gamma Virginid (peaks on the
14th and 15th), or an Eta Virginid (lasts for two months),
or a Theta Virginid (lasts for five weeks), a Mu Virginid
(lasts for six weeks), but not an Iota Virginid nor Psi
Viginid (daytime meteors), nor a Lambda Virginid
(very rare), nor a Pi Virginid (they're over by the 14th).

The brightest Lyrid was magnitude +2, pukey weak
compared to the Wisconsin Whizzer, which was
described as "bright as the Sun.".

Virginids are not known for fireballs (I couldn't find
any reference to even one), and spaceweather says it
was definitely NOT a gamma Virginid, the stream that's
peaking now. They say asteroid.

The found stone has been preliminarily identified as
an H chondrite, the most common OC right now.
This is largely because of the recent breakup of the
parent body of 1270 Datura which created an
asteroid family that has been supplying the Earth
with H chondrites for the last 500,000 years or so.

I wonder if the radar track and/or any of the
observations are enough to rough out an orbit?

Probably not.

And Larry beat me to it again.

Sterling K. Webb