[meteorite-list] Wold Cottage 'meteorite homecoming'

From: martin goff <msgmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:24:24 +0100

Hi all,

Just thought i would give the list a heads up on a recent event that
happened over here in the UK concerning the Wold Cottage meteorite.
The owners of the historic Wold Cottage are now proudly able to
display a piece of the famous meteorite itself after many years of
searching with no success. This story has taken quite a few months to
unfold and started last summer when myself and my family stayed at the
Wold Cottage currently owned by Derek and Katrina Gray. Although they
have lots of historic photos and memorabilia i was astounded to
discover that they didn't have a piece of the stone itself. I thought
this was very sad indeed and said i would keep a look out for them and
after a few months found a piece being offered for trade by Dave
Gheesling. I approached Dave with Derek and Katrina's story and Dave
was not only willing to part with the specimen but he offered to
donate it to them for free! Now, i know that Dave is a very modest
chap and doesnt want to make a song and dance about this but i think
that the story needs sharing (Larry, i am writing the article at the
moment!!) I am sure that everyone will agree that it was a very
generous gesture with the end result being that a piece of this
important and historic fall is now being displayed in its proper home!
As i played the part of the middle man in all of this i thought that
the least i could do was to arrange to get the specimen properly
framed and present the framing to Derek and Katrina on Daves behalf. I
did this last Friday and Derek and Katrina are absoutely delighted and
over the moon to finally have a piece back home!

The story has atrracted quite a bit of press attention and i was
thrust into quite a media circus when i attended last week (all good
fun though and i quite enjoyed it all to be honest!) I was interviewed
for BBC Radio and TV and am pleased that the story has generated
postive press for meteorite collectors.

See Daves website for more info and some additional links to articles online:

(http://www.fallingrocks.com/Collections/WoldCottage.htm)

Also the British and Irish Meteorite society (BIMS) has a short write
up in the news section:

(http://www.bimsociety.org)

Cheers

Martin