[meteorite-list] Volcanic Ash is Magnetic

From: tracy latimer <daistiho_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:06:19 +0000

Part of the problem with trying to search for meteorites in Hawaii (problem, what problem? many of you probably think ;)) is that, in addition to our meteorite-inhospitable climate, many of our native lava rocks are metallic enough to trip a metal detector, and are weakly attracted to a rare earth magnet.? Fresh ones also can be easily mistaken for meteorites by casual inspection.? Hawaii is one big meteor-wrong!

Best! (frustratedly)
Tracy Latimer