[meteorite-list] Wisconsin vs Tamdakht and other NWA falls

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 05:11:16 +0200

Hmm... I suppose Tagish Lake & the Hammer Hysteria are the base or were the
turning point, for some - by far not all - high prices (in relation to 10
years ago) we observe these years with new falls.

Uh Ourique then was 10$.
Portugal seems not to be Europe, it took me years to sell my last piece
recently at 15$ - seen the inflation, almost the same....

Hammami, Zag, Thuathe, Kilabo, Kunya-Urgench, Oum Dreyga, Bensour,
Benguerir, Chergach, Bassi, Tamdakht, (also the later finds of Kainsaz,
Vengerovo...)

If I think 30 years back, then it's 0.4-1.2$/g - definitely in those times
new falls were not available at such rates and definitely not in that
quality.

Hosur (remember Orissa?), Bouzzard Coulee very reasonable.
Millbillillie, Tenham, Camel Donga, Estherville - cheap like they weren't
the last 30 years anymore.

Almost all larger irons were cheaper than ever before. Due to the new finds.
And before small irons grew large and got cheap.

Pallasites below 2$ in former times? Forget it if it wasn't a dead Huckitta.

Ungettable historics like Boguslavka came very moderate...

And quite ALL rare types, as soon as they are from the deserts, cost a fifth
down to the fiftieth part of the decades before.
With some exceptions, which are on the way back to a more "normal" level
And future isn't looking so bright anymore..

Anyway - I think we shouldn't always look to the extreme end.
We are still living in the best times for meteorites ever!

And if we'll get some more reasonable laws, it still can stay so!

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----