[meteorite-list] Wisconsin vs Tamdakht and other NWA falls

From: Matson, Robert D. <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 19:35:10 -0700

Hi Aziz,

I think it shows, most of all, that collectors identify more with
falls that have occurred in their country of origin -- particularly
falls such as this that have been sensationalized by strong media
coverage, multiple videos of the fireball, the strongest Doppler
radar returns of any U.S. (or southern Canadian) fall since NEXRAD
came online 15 years ago, and recoveries by meteorite hunters that
are familiar to the majority of this list.

As far as I know, no Morrocan fall has ever been recorded on video,
and certainly no radar data exists showing the dust trail from
such a fall. Scientifically, any meteorite from a Moroccan (or NWA)
fall is every bit as valuable as a similar meteorite from a U.S.
or European fall. However, a fall like the SW Wisconsin fall has
the ~additional~ scientific value of having a reasonably
determinable precursor asteroid orbit, something that is quite
rare even among U.S./European falls.

Best wishes,
Rob

P.S. If anyone has a photo repository where they would like to
archive the 15 NEXRAD Doppler radar scans I've created for the
Wisconsin fall, I would be happy to provide them. They are color
JPEG image captures from the NOAA Weather and Climate Toolkit
display, and I have given them filenames that are indicative of
the approximate GMT time that each scan was made. For anyone
interesting in hunting the Livingston/Mifflin/Mineral Point fall,
I would think you would benefit greatly from having these.