[meteorite-list] AD-New Taouz fall stones

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 13:09:57 -1000

Aloha listoids,

At 3:00 am in the area of Taouz, 70km southeast of Erfoud, many people witnessed a very bright bolide accompanied by a sonic boom and fragmentation event. For lack of a better name, and with all due respect to my Moroccan friends I am calling these Taouz fall stones, although the fall was not in the Moroccan town of Taouz, and actually over the border in Algeria. Nomads recovered the meteoritic material in Algeria and transported over the border to Morocco, where dealers were able to acquire, and from whom I purchased them August 9, 2010.

A limited supply is available, but I expect to offer more individuals and slices in the future. These chondrites have very fresh, velvety black fusion crusts, with a light matrix with some metal inclusions visible through the crust, and magnetic susceptibility seems to indicate a LL type classification, but that is only my opinion. Price is $8/g

http://bigkahuna-meteorites.com/Taouz.html

BTW, does anyone on the list know if a type sample of this fall was submitted for analysis toward classification?

Gary Fujihara
Big Kahuna Meteorites (IMCA#1693)
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, Hawai'i 96720
http://bigkahuna-meteorites.com/