[meteorite-list] AD : The oldest rock on Earth : 4.28Ga !!!

From: Fabien Kuntz <wwmeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:16:57 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

a last AD for now, few slices of a paraggneiss called "faux-amphibolite", the
oldest rock known on Earth, with an age of 4.28 billions years old! A Hadean
crust relic (with possibly Late Heavy Bombardment evidence, based on Os isotopes
arguments).

I obtained samples directly from the team published it in Science (26 SEPTEMBER
2008 VOL 321). An agreement on a trade (with meteorites of course), and when
they collected during 2009 field work new specimens of garnet-bearing
"faux-amhibolite" (4.28Ga), cummingtinite-rich "faux-amphibolite" (4.28Ga),
Banded Fe-Formation (3.8Ga), Fe-rich amphibolite (4.02Ga) and Fe-rich garnet
amphibolite (4.02Ga) for more studies... some was for me (with all field data)!

Few specimens sold in Ensisheim, I have here new slices of the garnet-rich
"faux-amphibolite" lithology available (and a link to download the full thesis)
:

http://www.wwmeteorites.com/Nuvvuagittuq.html

Other lithologies uppon request, include the 3.8Ga BIF (first evidence of
microbiological life on Earth, as other the other BIF of the same age around the
world).

Fabien