[meteorite-list] Search for first U.S. lunar meteorite

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:42:12 -0400

Hi Rob, Adam, Eric, Martin and List,

Don't forget the other possibility for the first US lunaite - it could
be sitting in a long-lost drawer of a geologist or perhaps a museum
store room. It's mislabelled and forgotten, like Lafayette was for a
time. And then unsuspecting intern dusting off old rocks will notice
something strange and have a closer look. As unspectacular as that
would seem to a seasoned field hunter, it's always a possibility.
With all of the attention meteorites is getting lately (good and bad),
people are taking second looks through their rock piles. I joke
around about the photos of toliet plungers and lava rocks that I get
on a daily basis (got one yesterday), but one of these days somebody
might re-find the first US lunaite.

Of course, the best possibility is that I find it - for the better of
mankind....... LOL ;)

Whoever finds it is going to be a legend on the meteorite scene, and
if it is somebody who was previously unknown, that person is going to
be an overnight celebrity.

Heck, it might not even be a human who finds it. We already have at
least two accomplished meteorite hunting dogs, a monkey, and a Mexican
whooping llama.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG