[meteorite-list] Extremobacteria

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:11:50 -0500

Hi, Gang,

First, it was Streptococci -- bacteria, not viruses --
that were found in the Surveyor camera body.
They were discovered, needless to say, after pieces
were returned to Earth.

That raised the question of contamination in the
Receiving lab. Much was made of it at the time,
but after much review of the evidence and the
circumstances, the possibilities are as follows.

1. The camera was contaminated before it went
to the Moon. Surveyor scientists discovered a
breach of sterile procedure in the preparation
of the comers, they say, so the microbes could
have gone to the Moon and survived two years.

2. The astronauts brought it back in a nylon
duffel bag (like old socks); it was not sterile
sealed, so could have been contaminated while
being returned.

3. We'll never know because the camera was
put on public display and is now hopelessly
contaminated. We can't test again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reports_of_Streptococcus_mitis_on_the_moon

That said, I have no doubt that Deinococci
and the Rubrobacter genus of Actinobacteria
could survive any amount of cosmic radiation.

It's why they call them "extremophiles." They
just eat it up.

And, remember, Google is your friend...

Sterling K. Webb