[meteorite-list] Magnet canes are evil

From: Thunder Stone <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:20:12 -0700

I use a magnet cane - in fact it it super strong.? But I must point out that I do not rely on it.? I use my eyes mostly.? I look for the rock shape, texture and color.? I think the shape is very important. I check if it is smooth and that the edges are rounded - like a partly polished rock.? It is bad to depend on a magnet for a number of reasons (as Rob pointed out) also if the rock is embedded in a hard clay, a magnet will not pick it up if it's an LL or an old weathered L or even H.? I have found meteorites like this - some I had to remove from the clay to test how magnetic it was.? So as Rob points out - Your eyes are the best tool you have. Now as to the reason I like a super stonge magnet is in case I find an achondrite.? I have bought some and often they stick weakly to a magnet - well if I see an odd smooth looking rock that's a little out od place, I'll check it with my magnet to see if it sticks slightly... believe me I have a lot of iron rich basalt and silicas with magnetite in them in my garage,
 but I think it's worth it.? Now if it's something that has no magnetism (R-chondrite) then I have to rely on the eyes again.

I metal detector is good in places with many many rocks or the meteorites are buried - Franconia and Gold Basin.

It's funny, But I actually think most of my dry lake finds were found with my eyes and not the magnet cane, but I think the more tools you have the better - you just need to learn how to use them in the best ways.

Greg S.