[meteorite-list] Private involvement helping science

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:47:28 -0700 (PDT)

Nice post Mike! Governments and religious leaders all over history have slowed down tru science. The earth was once the center of the universe. And a patent clerk not funded by any government? We all know the rest of that story. It takes a lot of years for the "wacko" Theorys to finally be accepted and proven. Radionucleotides and exobacteria are good examples. Dating by lead lead ratios is acepted as fact by the flat earthers. And evidence of viruses and bacteria in meteorites is considered heresy. With radio telescopes and the hubble reaching out 300billion years into the past isnt it a little nieve to give dating based on radiation? A good analogy would be a public restroom with 3 stalls. The nearest stall would see the most use and the most flushes. If you put a counter on each stall and recorded how many flushes each toilet had could you say the farthest stall was younger because it had less flushes? Its the same thing with using half lives to
 calculate ages. It gives us usefull info but? Cheers Steve