[meteorite-list] Sort of OT- Do Meteorites Wander too?

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:45:16 -0700 (PDT)

Mike,

Good question.? (And hardly "OT";-)

I posed your question to Google and here is what I found:

Implications of Ice Rafting for Meteorite Recovery on Seasonally ...
by N Gessler - 2002
By 1998 it became clear that rock ice rafting applied equally to meteorites, thus suggesting a natural concentration mechanism akin to the glacial ...
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2002M&PSA..37Q..51G

Meteorite Recovery on Dry Lakes ? Follow the Ice-Rafts
by RS Verish - 2002
It was his opinion that ice-rafting/moving water was involved in producing these sporadic accumulations of detritus and meteorites. ...
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/2002M&PSA..37Q.143V

Bob's Findings - March 2006 Article - Drylakes and Examples of ...
IMPLICATIONS OF ICE RAFTING FOR METEORITE. RECOVERY ON SEASONALLY WET PLAYAS. N. Gessler. 1. ,. P. Gessler. 2. , RD Matson. 3. and RS Verish

http://meteorite-recovery.tripod.com/2006/mar06.htm -

65th Annual Meteoritical Society Meeting (2002) 5263.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2002/pdf/5263.pdf

65th Annual Meteoritical Society Meeting (2002) 5295.pdf
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/metsoc2002/pdf/5295.pdf

So, as you can now see, the movement of rocks (& meteorites) by the combined action of water & wind on "dry" lakes is a widespread occurrence and not just solely a Racetrack Playa phenomenon.

-- Bob V.

[meteorite-list] Sort of OT- Do Meteorites Wander too?
Michael Groetz mpg4444 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:14:50 EDT 2010