[meteorite-list] AD: Special: Especially rare EL4 - at an especially affordable rate - NWA 6482

From: Chladnis Heirs <news_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:26:45 +0100

Dear meteorite friends,

Our newest Special shall be about an enstatite chondrite!

The enstatite chondrites, the most reduced chondrites, which have formed in
the inner solar system
and plot on the terrestrial fractionation line,
are a rare group and became only recently more widespread by the mega-find
of El Haggouina and pairings.

Unfortunately El Hagg is so strongly terrestrialized and altered, that
hardly and only in a very few pieces still chondrules were visible,
so that initially it was classified even as an aubrite.

Now we present with NWA 6482 more representative specimens of that
intriguing class,
showing a lot of nice and distinct chondrules
and it was still fresh ?enough to emit a strange smell while cutting ? most
probably from the exotic sulfide minerals, which are so typical for the
E-chondrites.
The material is somewhat crumbly, so that we let the slices unpolished.

And with NWA 6482, we?re able to offer an extremely rare petrologic
subtype:? It is classified as an? EL4.

The Bulletin database coughs out only 6 non-Antarctic? EL4s
(DaG 734, DaG 1031, HaH 317, NWA 4780, NWA 5409, SaU 188).
with a somewhat modest combined tkw of ?2.8 kg.

..and additionally 5 Antarctic finds, totalling to a 0.2kg.

So we think, that our offer should be an excellent opportunity for the
systematical collector (and of course for all others too!).

We have to confess, that we had difficulties to set a price for this new
meteorite.
Enstatite chondrites, besides the fossil El Hagg, are traditionally a
somewhat costly affair,
well and now we have here an almost unobtainable subtype.
A web-research, if you like to do, results for EL4s always in a few offers
of the remainders of the Dar al Ganis, at prices around 150$/g.

You know, what we did? We sat down, looked out in the fairy-tale-snowscape
and said ? Christmas is coming soon?

10$ a gram, as long as stock lasts

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com/special-nwa6482.html

And hope to make you happy with that!

All the Best!
Stefan & Martin

Chladni's Heirs
Munich - Berlin
Fine Meteorites for Science & Collectors

http://www.chladnis-heirs.com