[meteorite-list] Best Type of Light

From: John Teague <volgems_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:55:52 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

If you want the easiest way to get "daylight color", go to WalMart and get the CFL bulbs marked daylight (with a Kelvin temperature of ~ 5500 or 6000, not home right now to get the exact number!). You may have to look around but every WalMart I've tired has them. Picked up a couple in Tucson during the shows a couple of years ago as I had left mine at home! These are available at 60, 75, and 100 watts, I believe. I use 2 or more 100 watters to photograph minerals, fossils, and meteorites without having to ever deal with white balance. These seem to be the best for the money. I tired the "Reveal" bulbs and had NO luck with them even though they say daylight!

Just my 2 coppers worth of experience!

John Teague
Knoxville, Tennessee