[meteorite-list] Tally of Falls in the Last 10 years

From: Michael Gilmer <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:08:36 -0500

Some more observations on these "21st century" fall stats -

There have been no pallasite or stony-iron falls during this period.

6 achondrites out of 56 falls total, that amounts to 9.3% ratio of
achondrites to other types.

1 iron out of 56 falls, or only 1.7% ratio of irons to other types.

Over the last 10 years, we have averaged 5.6 officially-recognized
falls per year, but in the year 2005 there were no official falls.

So far in 2010, we have only had 2 official falls and 3 others
(non-official) awaiting classification.

There were 15 hammer falls, or 1.5 per year for the last 10 years.

6 of those hammers were in North America and 5 in the USA.

2 other strong candidates for hammer falls have not been officially
approved yet : Zunhua China and Cartersville Georgia.

India has 10 falls (including one hammer) in the last 10 years.

The USA has 7 falls (including 5 hammers) in the last 10 years, or
approx. 71% hammer ratio - the highest of any nation with more than
one fall.

The USA had zero falls from Jan 01, 2000 until Mar 25, 2003. The
goose-egg was broken the next day by the Park Forest hammer fall.

The next big dry spell for the USA came after the Orlando Florida fall
of Nov 08, 2004 and lasted until Feb 15, 2009 when Ash Creek fell. A
dry spell of over 4 years.

Since Ash Creek, the USA has had 4 official falls and one unapproved
fall (Cartersville), in less than 3 years.

Not to be outdone, Canada has only had 3 falls in the last 10 years,
but all were "doozies" - Tagish Lake (C2-ung of extraordinary
interest), Grimsby (hammer), and Buzzard Coulee (media sensation).

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com