[meteorite-list] Help desperately needed for presentation to second graders

From: Matthew Martin <mmartin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:06:58 -0600

Hi Susan,

Those are young kids so your lesson/topic should not delve too deep
into specifics. While I teach 7-12 and have taught 4-6 in the past, I
don't have experience with 2nd grade. However, my experience tells me
that a good topic would be the solar system in general. It may or may
not be a review for them...many schools teach the solar system at or
around this level--check with their teacher(s) ahead of time. If you
can let them know ahead of time what you will cover, they may also be
able to arrange their preceding lessons to prepare the students for
your visit.

For an activity, I would suggest having them model the solar system.
There are a variety of ways to do this...balloons work well with that
age. Have them blow up balloons to different sizes (and colors) to
understand size relationships between the planets. Most party shops
carry variety packs with a mixture of colors. They also may carry
black balloons which I would use for the asteroid belt. This is where
I would tie in the meteorites--their probable origin.

You could create a very simple model of two solar bodies (cross
sections perhaps made out of styrofoam)--one, a planet, and the other
a large asteroid (this will show them how similar the two bodies are).
  Without going into specifics of density and differentiation, I would
keep it simple...such as "the inner part of a planet is called the
core. This means your model would have only two colors/regions in its
interior at its simplest form. Explain to them that like the Earth,
large asteroids too have cores. The core of planet Earth is made of
molten iron (you may want to bring in an object made of iron as a
visual (i.e. horseshoe). Then share with them that large asteroids
likely have a core of iron too.

At that point, it would be good to show on the model that the outer
layer around the core of planets and large asteroids is called the
mantle and is made of rock. Essentially what you have done is set up
the explanation for why we have different types of meteorites. You
can then show them stone meteorites and ask them where they would come
from...the core or the mantle (mantle). And you could show them an
iron and ask where they think it would have come from (core).
Finally, to challenge them to think critically, show them a stony iron
pallasite and explain that it is a mixture of rock and metal...where
do they think that it would have come from? (here's where great
dialogue from the kids will (hopefully) come in. Praise wrong answers
with appreciation for their effort....perhaps you can redirect them to
the right answer by responding to their answer with a question.

Anyway...I hope this helps.

Matt Martin, IMCA #4238
Meteorite Treasures
www.MeteoriteTreasures.com