[meteorite-list] Question about lost shipment and what to do.

From: al mitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:48:46 -0500

Greetings Mike and all,

I had something similar happen with the Post Office one time. It ended up
going to the "hub" in Pennsylvania (from Indiana). You first have to let
them know it is not moving or possibly lost. They make a note of it but will
tell you that you have to wait a couple of weeks. I did so and went back
(different person) and they gave me the same story that I would have to
wait. I asked to see the supervisor, she told me I would have to wait a
couple of weeks (consistant aren't they). I told her that I had and had
waited three weeks prior to that so it had been over five weeks and it still
showed being at the hub. This got her attention and I believe she made some
phone calls. Mysteriously the package started to move a day or two later and
the package finally was received. I had used insurance so they were a bit
more worried about it. Insurance costs about $1 per hundred last I looked.

I would bet with the holiday traffic, it has been sitting behind other
packages and hasn't been looked at. If you put in a formal lost in the mail
then wait a bit longer you can then get them to start making phone calls.

Of course it could always be stolen. Best not to advertise what you have in
the box. Just say rock sample.

I wish you good luck and hope that things work out well for you. If not you
have to chalk it up as a lost and let your business absorb it. Hope this
helps.

--AL Mitterling

Mitterling Meteorites