[meteorite-list] Matters Arising

From: Mal Bishop <magbish3_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 14:13:29 -0500

Peter, although I'm a US citizen by birth, I must agree with both you
and Anne on this ridiculous show of childish and sophomoric behavior,
not to mention its potentially dangerous effects on some of the more
simple minded types ( that may or may not be members of this list ) to
copy such behavior! This sort of idiocy only goes to perpetuate the
American stereotype in a negative light even more so than it may already
be perceived worldwide -- not to mention it is even to the distaste of
other Americans in various regions and cultures of our own country.

I have a background and temperament fostered from childhood of hunting
and target shooting of which I still practice shooting various types of
firearms and reload ammo, etc to this day, some 40 years after my father
first introduced me to guns and hunting ( although I don't much care for
hunting anymore these days). With the out-of-control gun violence in
this country and with both terrorists (domestically home grown, as well
as form abroad) trying to destroy our country and way of life, I just
don't get the humor, and bravado, in showing out with weapons of any
kind -- most especially firearms like this...and especially on a list
that purports to be inhabited by scientific, intellectually minded
personalities and deals with a subject matter of a somewhat different
nature! Last I knew this wasn't the Guns and Ammo list, or Guns Are Us,
blah, blah, blah...

I feel acts like these only go to heighten problems with our image
worldwide, and also just make Americans more, nervous, paranoid, and
divisive toward each other. All it takes is one stupid SOB to take it
to the next level and then another needless tragedy manifests itself in
the Good ol' US of A!!!

Guns are a serious matter for serious minded people, not children
wanting to play pretend grown-up, or cowboys and Indians, or cops and
robbers, or whatever!

Peter, please also realize that not everyone who has a hobby involving
shooting, hunting, and firearms are all rednecks, or hicks -- although
there are more than plenty of those around where I live to be sure.
There are also many law abiding, good down-to-earth, hard working,
freedom loving Americans as well that don't approve of this sort of
silliness either!!!

My respect and admiration to Anne and you, as well as others of a more
sensible nature and discretion!

Mal