[meteorite-list] Lorton meteorite should be 'the people's rock'

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:21:20 +0100

Hi Adam,

yah and the problem is, that very most meteorites on Earth do not meet the
definition of cultural heritage of the 1970er UNESCO convention and the
following convention UNIDROIT.

Just take any lexicon or encyclopedia and look up the definition of
"culture".

And consequently meteorites are protected in the UNESCO convention, clearly
and unambiguously only, if they are mineral objects, which are a part of a
scientific collection. (Says the convention, not me.)

Problem is that article from McEwen & Schmitt, who give a very extreme
individual opinion - which in case, at least in my opinion, wouldn't be
shared by any court.

Talking about problems.
Problem - iiiif a country declares all meteorites across-the-board to be
movable heritage in terms of the 1970er UNESCO convention,
like e.g. Canada or Australia did,
what is then with the meteorites from other countries kept in the museums
and institutional collections?

Well, that the UNIDROIT convention tells: They have to be given back or
there must be a financial compensation given to the countries where they
felt or were found - if these countries ask for it and if it can't be
proven, that there were once legally exported (which is impossible in most
cases, because before these laws discussion, noone would have had the idea,
that one once could need papers for the meteorites).
That is very dangerous - and I guess also a reason, why only a few countries
will follow the Australian or Canadian line.

Btw. a problem.
I don't like, that such laws are mentioned only when they suit the plans.

Look the Smithonian;
Currently there is another stone on display.
The Blue Wittelsbacher diamond.
Since 1722 his ways through the different European royal houses is
documented.
A long time (there its name stems from) it was the largest and most
important stone in the Bavarian crown jewels.
A year ago (or were it already 2 years) it was auctioned off
a private diamond dealer won (was to expensive for the Bavarian state).
And I as Bavarian won't be able anymore to dance around that stone at our
powwows, cause it's over the sea.

So I would say, this mineralogical object is by all means an item in the
highest rank of a movable cultural national heritage by definition of the
UNESCO convention.

Smithonian hasn't any objections to have it on display,
therefor I doubt, that they could argue for the UNESCO convention
in the Lorton case, where a stone without any human history just arrived
from space.

Prrrrrroblem's solution? Very simple - like so often, when we talk about
meteorites.

If they think it must be "people's rock":

Then Smithonion just should buy it and put in on display.

(As it's common use with artifacts, art, fossils, minerals and quite all
other exhibits too - there is no reason, why meteorites shall be the sole
exception).

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----