[meteorite-list] Lorton meteorite should be 'the people's rock'

From: George Blahun Jr <ks1u_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:14:36 -0500

We should all be concerned about this law and not be complacent. Up until the 1980s the Communications Act of 1934 prohibited anyone from owning the electromagnetic spectrum. It was considered the "peoples spectrum". During the 1980s the telecommunications industry bought off a corrupt and ignorant congress and FCC and had the laws rewritten. In that case the ownership by the people, I felt, was a good thing. After all those radio waves are constantly passing through our bodies and on our properties, so we should all have access to them. Instead of insisting on the industry encrypting their signals, it became illegal to descramble any radio or tv signals unless you paid some company. In the current view, the land owner does (and I believe should) have ownership of meteorites. We should all be vigilant that some politician or museum director does not start an effort to overturn this. All it takes is some money and a few greedy politicians (redundant I know). I don't see any immediate changes on the
horizon, I'm just cautioning against complacency.

George