[meteorite-list] Lorton meteorite should be 'the people's rock'

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:45:11 -0500

George,
You make a very good point here. The question I have is why do you think this is so cut and dry.
I mean one could argue that the doctors were in legal control of this rented office space at the time of the collision. Are they not renting the air space? I understand they do not own the building or the land but they do own legal right to the use of the property. Don't you think it should be up to the courts to decide who owns a visitor that lands on and subsequently inside the building?
For an example of a similar situation; If a patient dropped say a dollar bill on the floor during a visit and walks out, does that dollar bill automatically become owned by the landlord? I think it might belong to the finder?
Were the courts correct in their ruling in the Hodges case?
I mean, if I got hit by a meteorite the least I should get is ownership. Maybe I'm wrong but, I am not the decider here.
I think the courts should take a look at this case for clarification between legal usage and legal ownership issues. What if it had killed the doctor?
Could the doctors wife sue based on the fact that the landlords own it whether they claim it or not?
Because certainly if somebody slipped on a banana peel the landlord is safe from restitution by the injured and the liability should fall (no pun intended) on the tenants. I mean afterall they do have legal use of the space.
I understand the current precedent goes to the land owner but,
I think the question is basically a landlord tenant question. If in legal possession of the land and or air space. Who owns a rock that lands there? Carl

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax