[meteorite-list] Fwd: Lorton meteorite should be 'the people's rock'

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:13:51 -0700

Hi George,

> If you were unfortunate enough to be hit by a meteorite on someone
> else's property, I believe you'd be entitled to damages for your
> injury and pain and suffering. If you were walking on my property
> here in CT and one of my black walnut trees fell on you, you could
> (and should) file a claim against my home owners policy,

I don't know if that is correct. I'm not a lawyer, but I know that the laws
are different for natural causes vs negligence. If your walnut tree lands
on someone, then he can sue you because you neglected to take care of the
tree so it wouldn't fall and hurt someone. It's on your land, so you own
that tree. So you have to take the necessary steps to the best of your
ability to prevent it from hurting anyone on your property.

On the other hand, we cannot prevent people from being hit by meteorites (or
lightning, hail, etc) when they are on someone's property. If I am walking
across someone's yard during a storm and I'm hit with hail or lightning, I
doubt that there is any court in the US that would rule in my favor if I try
to sue that home owner. The home owner could possibly sue me because I was
trespassing on his land. Even if I was invited by him into his yard, an
injury from something natural coming from above is not his concern
(legally).

Think of it this way: If I'm driving down the road and I crash because
lightning hits my car, can I sue the city or state or Fed gov? (After all,
one of them owns the air above my car.) Nope.

You can't sue (or at least WIN, because in the US you can sue anyone for
anything nowadays) for natural phenomena that is not humanly preventable.
There is the possibility if there are extenuating circumstances (e.g. maybe
if the highway department set up a metal pole next to the road that acted
like a lightning rod-type and it attracted the lightning as my car was
driving by), but in general, that will be rare.

So if a meteorite crashes through the roof of a building that is being
rented by a dentist and it hits a patient, neither the dentist nor his
landlord should be held liable. One or both will most likely help pay, but
that would be because it's good publicity and "the right thing to do". But
if an investigation shows that the roof was in bad condition or poorly made,
then the patient *might* have a case against the landlord.

It would be interesting to hear from a real lawyer about this. :-)

Regards,

Bob