[meteorite-list] Gold Basin strewn field correction on a post by Carl Esparza

From: Larry & Twink Monrad <larrytwinkmonrad_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 13:58:26 -0700

No Carl, you do not have this right at all.

What I told you the other night is that Jim Kriegh, John Blennert and I
turned in all of our first several hundred specimens to Dr. Kring at the U
of A. These were found on BLM land where the field was discovered while
hunting for gold. Dolores Hill and Dr. Kring went through these one by one,
bagged and labeled them, as Dolores can attest. Twenty per cent of these
went to the Smithsonian. The rest were eventually given back to us by Dr.
Kring except for a few that the University needed for classification. John,
Jim and I also donated several to the University of Arizona Mineral Museum
which they still own. As all of us discovered different meteorites in the
same strewn field, they were also examined, classified and returned to us
except for the slices kept by the U of A for classification.

It was a year later that Dr. Kring obtained for Jim Kriegh a permit to hunt
on the Lake Mead Recreation Area and Jim, John and I hunted there for a
while and were honored to do so. Dr. Kring was interested in knowing
whether the strewn field covered the Recreation Area. When we found Gold
Basin meteorites at various points even overlooking Lake Mead and walked
over lots of flat land and into canyons on both sides of the road into the
Recreation area it was obvious that yes, the field extended to Lake Mead.
All of these finds on the Lake Mead Recreation area were turned over to Dr.
Kring who in turn sent them to the Smithsonian as that had been in the
agreement in order to get the permit to hunt on the Recreation area. We had
hunted briefly at various spots just to see where they occurred. Jim
Kriegh did not ask for the permit to be extended since the information that
Dr. Kring needed had been verified.

Once the press release came out from the University of Arizona in January
1998, anyone was free to hunt on the original BLM area and we enjoyed many
hunts with many of you who became our good friends. Meeting all of you who
did hunt with Jim Kriegh or who met him at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show
is what made him the happiest and made the find worthwhile to him. Jim was
also pleased to have donated his time for the mapping and scientific
information his find afforded the meteorite world.

Twink Monrad