[meteorite-list] Russian meteorites-- don't take them for granite!

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:18:53 -0800 (PST)

It makes no difference whatsoever whether a meteorite is classified or not when originating from Northwest Africa as far as legalities go. People who spread the rumor that the export of meteorites from Morocco are illegal seem to have an agenda. A dealer once tried to make it so you needed a special permit but this failed. I believe this was to get an exclusive on material coming out of NWA as this would have served as an effective roadblock to others.

The truth is simple: It is completely legal to obtain meteorites from Morocco, period!

All the best,

Adam