[meteorite-list] Submerged Meteorites - Methods of Retrieval

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:52:39 -0500

Hi Listees,

I was wondering about all of the meteorites that fall into the oceans
and large bodies of water. Presumably, these meteorites are forever
lost because they will oxidize away completely, or they will be
entombed in sediments. But, would it be possible for a trawler to
drag a big magnet across the ocean bottom (or other body of water) to
retrieve some of these meteorites before they are too far gone to
oxidation? I know this notion seems silly at first, but would there
be underwater areas that would be more forgiving for this kind of
operation? I can imagine some gigantic iron sitting on the bottom,
with a thick rind of oxidation around it, and it would stick to a huge
magnet for retrieval.

Is this idea silly, or is it something that could be attempted? I
imagine it would be fruitless to just pick an area at random and start
trolling for meteorites, but if there was a suspected fall or other
reason to think that a particular area might be rich in meteorites,
would it be possible to get at them?

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG