[meteorite-list] Microscope search

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:24:29 EST

Hi list, Richard is absolutely right when he said. "so a simple $100
stereo microscope might be enough to get your feet wet and help solidify the
direction you want to go if, I mean when you purchase your next microscope!"

He touches on an aspect that meteorite and microscope enthusiasts have
known since our first scope. It is more interesting close up. Any specimen
in your collection is much more interesting when you can observe the
subtleties that make it different from the rest.

If you care to look at the micrographs of Angrites in my gallery you will
know what I am saying.

I might also add. I have inexpensive some Xpol scopes that are beautiful
to look at thin sections in. I don't take micrographs with these scopes
but for observation they are wonderful and even with the setup I use to take
micrographs on, the view first hand is 10X better than a picture. I would
even say that the observational view in one of these inexpensive scopes is
better than the best micrograph I can produce.

Tom

In a message dated 2/19/2010 7:40:05 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,