[meteorite-list] Non magnetic meteorites

From: James Balister <balisterjames_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:29:56 -0800 (PST)

What I am trying to say is that you can not be sure if a rock is or is not a meteorite simply because a magnet will not stick to it!? Not to forget that a rare earth magnet has a stronger pull then a simple magnet.? I am not talking about having it checked out as to content.? I am talking about finding one with a magnet.? I use a metal detecter, and sight when hunting.? Then cut them open to look for nickel.? But the magnet test now seems up in the air as far as a quick ID.?? I wonder how many rocks I just passed over simply because the magnet did not stick!