[meteorite-list] Your top meteor sightings!

From: Shelly <shelly1999_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:41:01 -0500

I hesitate to relate my story as I do not have all the facts in
place...........In fact I have been saying to myself that I should do just
that but time has gone on way to long without action.......your topic is the
perfect place to start........
1993 I believe....the date I do not recall......but can be
determined..........I was the Chief of Police of a NE Pennsylvania Police
Dept......at approx. 0400 hrs. I was talking to a Police officer from the
next jurisdiction.....when a large object was observed by both of
us....travelling west to east........almost directly above us...in fact it
made us duck slightly when seen.....This huge piece of rock was the lenght
of my index finger with arm extended.......It was not on 'Fire" but totaly
visible with surface features casting shadows upon itself from the full
moon......the speed of the object was very slow.........the full moon cast
shadows off of the high peaks onto it's surface and the tips of the high
areas took turns dropping.....red....white......blue.....yellow sparklers!
If you know what a sparkler looks like while it burns....some of the sparks
go fast and some slow.....well that's what these object did....dropped slow
sparklers off the high peaks..........
The rock was shaped like a heavy topped kidney bean.....the surface had
definate contours with high peaks and the middle of the object had a very
jagged looking area.....reminding me of jagged teeth.......Two long thin
electric lime trails extended from the top and bottom of the object and
stayed in place as the object slowly moved east.........
The first thing that alerted us to the object was a loud roaring sound..
that...funny at the time sounded like the engine from a star trek
ship.....steady .....high pitched whistles went with the sparkler effect
with the sound of a string of firecrackers going off........numerous " Booms
"........etc.
I will say this about the experience......Having served my Country during
Vietnam as a Special Forces soldier and in Law enforcement situations.....
I have never been in a situation that I did not feel in control of until
this.......It looked like a computer generated object complete with
sparklers and sound.......I thought if this things explodes Philadelphia to
New York would be effected...I had nothing to do but watch.......I counted
off 25 sec. untill the object disappered.........
The next day I heard that people from Virginia to New England reported
seeing a object .......two days later I had ufo investigators looking for
info.......I told them like I am telling you....It was a huge Rock and a
once in a lifetime event.
Oh!...the police officer that witnessed this with me ....refused to discuss
the event with anyone to the point of almost denial..........he has since
retired and I am going to make contact ...and get his side......because he
left quite quickly that nite and never spoke about it again........it's time
we talked.
Michael Mikowski