[meteorite-list] Your top meteor sightings!

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:35:28 -0500

Hi Gary,

Great stories. Being an amateur astronomer, you know that if you
spend enough time looking up, you will see things that many people
don't ever see or rarely see. I used to think shooting stars and
bolides were rare until I picked up telescopes and big binoculars for
the first time.

One night, while sitting out under NELM 5 skies (not exactly dark, but
not terrible either), I had a 25x100mm binocular mounted a
paralellogram. I kicked back in a chair and did sweeps of the sky
from zenith to horizon. This was standard operating procedure for me.
 I would take a cooler full of iced coffees outside with me, a cigar,
and the S&T Pocket Sky Atlas. I'd pick a couple of areas, like Orion
or Cygnus (depending on the season) and just concentrate on finding
DSO's in that region. I stay out for about 6 hours and then finish
the night with the cigar before packing it in.

Well anyhoot, that particular night I was out to observe and there was
no meteor shower or other activity on the schedule. I saw a total of
7 sporadic meteors that night, many of which came from different
radiants. Some were bright and some were faint. Most were quick
streaks of white or whitish light that would last only 1-2 seconds and
then suddenly vanish like a switch turned them off. One I saw while
looking through the eyepieces of 100mm binocular and it lasted several
seconds. I looked away from the eyepieces and tried to spot the
meteor with my naked eye, but it was too faint. I quickly returned to
the binocular just in time to see it suddenly wink out. Well, despite
having dew shields, it was very humid that night and the big 4-inch
objectives of the binocular dewed up on me. So it was time to go in.
I lit my cigar and kicked back in the chair, ticking off the DSO's I
had spotted that night in my observing log using a dim red flashlight.
 I looked up and saw a BIG BRIGHT BOLIDE that was bright yellow, it
travelled from west to east across Ursa Major and it left behind a
bright trail of sparks which were yellow and white. The bolide lasted
about 4-5 seconds before it brightened to about Magnitude 1 before it
winked out (apparently an airburst or explosion), leaving behind a
trail of sparks that lingered for a second longer before it was
utterly gone. I didn't hear any sounds associated with it.

Gary, that big bright one you saw that had electrophonic effects, it's
quite possible that bolide dropped meteorites. Did it go out over the
ocean?

If so, I wonder if it would be possible to plot something like that
and drop a big magnet behind a trawler and locate it. (assuming the
water is not too deep - which it probably is)

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG